Getting enough zinc in your diet is essential for your overall health and wellbeing. This important mineral helps your body to function properly, and it can be found in a variety of foods. Ready-to-eat breakfast cereals are often fortified with zinc, and you can also get zinc from a variety of protein sources such as seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, legumes, nuts, seeds and soy products. Milk and yogurt are also excellent sources of zinc.
Fish and seafood are particularly good sources of zinc. According to the USDA, one cup of cooked oysters contains 74.6 mg of zinc, while one cup of cooked crab contains 6.5 mg. Lean meats such as beef and pork are also good sources of zinc. One 3-ounce serving of cooked beef chuck roast contains 7.2 mg of zinc, while one 3-ounce serving of cooked pork tenderloin contains 2.9 mg.
Legumes are another great source of zinc. One cup of cooked lentils contains 2.5 mg of zinc, while one cup of cooked chickpeas contains 2.2 mg. Nuts and seeds are also good sources of zinc. For example, one ounce of pumpkin seeds contains 2.1 mg of zinc, while one ounce of cashews contains 1.6 mg.
In addition to being rich sources of calcium, milk and yogurt are delicious and nutritious sources of zinc. According to the USDA, one cup of skim milk or low-fat milk contains 1.1 mg and 1.05 mg, respectively, which provides some of the mineral. Meanwhile, one cup of fat-free yogurt or low-fat plain yogurt is an excellent source with 2.38 mg and 2.2 mg, respectively. It's important to note that the amount of zinc you need depends on your age and gender. The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for adults is 8 milligrams (mg) for women and 11 mg for men. If you're looking for ways to get enough zinc in your diet, there are plenty of options available to you.
Here are some tips for getting enough zinc:
- Eat a variety of foods: Eating a variety of foods is the best way to ensure that you're getting enough zinc in your diet.
- Choose fortified breakfast cereals: Ready-to-eat breakfast cereals are often fortified with zinc, so choose cereals that contain this important mineral.
- Include seafood in your diet: Fish and seafood are particularly good sources of zinc, so make sure to include them in your diet.
- Choose lean meats: Lean meats such as beef and pork are also good sources of zinc.
- Include legumes in your diet: Legumes such as lentils and chickpeas are excellent sources of zinc.
- Eat nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are also good sources of zinc.
- Drink milk or yogurt: Milk and yogurt are delicious and nutritious sources of zinc.